Soliciting funds: Better have permit on installation Print E-mail
Wednesday, 29 November 2017
By Dawn Arden
Managing editor
This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

According to Army Regulation 210-7, written permission must be obtained from the garrison commander’s office by those wishing to solicit funds on Fort Leonard Wood. This includes units, family readiness groups, home-based businesses, private organizations and commercial businesses.

For example, if an FRG is planning on raising money by selling T-shirts or other items at graduation ceremonies, a permit is required. If an individual wishes to start their own home-based business to make extra income by selling the latest kitchen gadgets, cosmetics, scented candles, etc…one must have a permit.

According to Vicki Reed, U.S. Army Garrison administrative officer, residents of the installation are mostly compliant with the regulation.

“Everyone here does fairly well at following the regulations when it comes to solicitation on post, but it’s always good to have a reminder,” Reed said. “We really want to make sure those new to Fort Leonard Wood, to include Soldiers, civilians and family members, understand the process so we can head off any problems before they may arise.”

Reed said the request process for individuals is simple and starts with a phone call or email to the garrison command office.

“All they have to do is contact me, and I’ll email them a packet which includes the Army Commercial Solicitation Regulation and an application for solicitation privileges,” Reed said. “Once we receive the application back, we review it, coordinate the necessary approvals and forward to the housing office for concurrence by Balfour Beatty Communities. Once the process is complete, I will approve the permit.”

The process is slightly different for private organizations. Their process begins at Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation with Ruby O’Dell, management support assistant.

“An organization would have to complete a validation packet that would include the items on a checklist,” O’Dell said. “(Once) the packet is submitted to me, I will review it to make sure it has all the required items and that it meets the guidance of the AR 210-22, Private Organization on Department of the Army Installations.”

According to O’Dell the process is not a quick one, and not all are approved.

“(After review) it is sent to the Staff Judge Advocate’s office for a legal review, when that is completed then the packet is sent to the garrison commander for final approval,” O’Dell said. “A couple of reasons that a group may not be approved is if they are only wanting to fundraise on the installation and/or if they don’t provide a benefit to the installation.”

For questions or to request a packet for individuals, contact Reed at 573.563.5788 or This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it Private organizations may contact O’Dell at 573.596.5367 or This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Last Updated ( Thursday, 11 January 2018 )