There are two things military spouses should know: 1) change happens and 2) your military community has support to help you make the most of it. That’s especially true when it comes to job-finding and advancing your career.
Here are 10 top tips for tapping into services that can help you find a great job:
1. Speak with a career coach: Military OneSource has career coaches who can help you prepare for a job search. Call 800.342.9647 and speak with a career coach from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., Mondays through Fridays or from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.
2. Build your individual career plan: Kick off your job search by using the MyICP, an interactive career planning tool, and create a roadmap to achieve your career goals.
3. Resume Toolkit: Use this resource to develop a resume that will land you the job. Create your resume today using the MySECO Resume Builder.
4. MySECO’s Research Occupations tool: Powered by CareerOneStop, this tool helps you find government statistics on wages and employment trends nationwide.
5. MSEP Career Portal: The Military Spouse Employment Partnership Career Portal. Your next job could be a click away. Register today and begin searching for military-friendly employers.
6. Apply for an MyCAA Scholarship: The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or associate degree in a portable career field and occupation.
7. USAJOBS Employment Portal: Gain insight on the federal application process and apply for federal jobs.
8. MilitaryINSTALLATIONS: If you recently had a permanent change of station, contact your new installation’s employment assistance program.
9. MilSpouse eMentor Leadership Program: Get career guidance, advice and support from experienced military spouses, career mentors and military-friendly employers. Complete a profile on the MilSpouse eMentor Program site to get started.
10. Hiring Our Heroes: This program helps veterans, transitioning military and military spouses connect with job opportunities. Visit the Hiring Our Heroes website to access resources that can boost your online job search.
While you’re searching for a job, be sure to take advantage of MySECO’s interactive employment readiness and career connection tools.
(Editor’s note: Article provided by Military OneSource. For more information, visit militaryonesource.mil.)