Are you or your organization planning a festival, concert, theater production or other event? Send your information to the GUIDON Off Duty section and we’ll help you publicize it. You can send it via the form below or call 573-563-5334 for information.
Want your event listed in the GUIDON? Following the suggestions below will make the process easier:
- Respect our deadlines: Our deadlines for articles/ photos, etc. is noon, Friday, for the next week’s issue. Items submitted on or before the deadline have a better chance of making it into the newspaper.
- Please keep articles a reasonable length: Between 150 and 500 words is ideal. Please do not submit more than 500 words.
- Be timely. Information that is more than two weeks old will have a tougher time getting into the paper.
- Please be specific: Include times, dates and locations of events, tournaments or games. When submitting sports information, include team scores, who led the team in scoring, etc. Please include both first and last names along with military rank and unit, if applicable.
- When submitting photos, please be aware that we prefer action shots and generally do not run “grip and grins” (photos with the subjects lined up in a row, looking directly at the camera.) We also generally do not run team photos (even when they have trophies in them). Also, please identify the subjects in each photo and give us a brief description of the action.
- Be aware that we do not run stories on fund-raising events unless there is some type of activity associated with it. If your organization is selling something or taking donations, we’re not interested. But if they are holding an event, such as a golf tournament, basket auction, chili cook-off, etc., we’ll gladly promote it. Remember to give us plenty of notice —- at least two weeks prior to the event is ideal — so that we have plenty of time to run it.
- Please note: Events publicized in the GUIDON must be open to service members and their Families or be open to the public.
If you have any other questions, please contact Matt Decker at email@example.com, or call (573) 563.5334.