The GUIDON Off Duty Section publishes sports articles primarily covering on-post service-member sports activities on Fort Leonard Wood, as well as things to do and entertainment options in and around the installation.
Submitted items are run on a space-available basis. If space is unavailable and items meet the follow submission guidelines, items can be posted online at myguidon.com and on the GUIDON Facebook page. Submitted photos and articles can be sent by email to Assistant Editor Matt Decker at: email@example.com.
Please follow these guidelines when submitting articles:
- Respect our deadlines. We publish every Thursday. Our deadline for submitted articles/ photos, etc. is noon, Friday, for the following week’s issue. Items submitted on or before the deadline have a better chance of making it into the newspaper. Please keep articles to a reasonable length: Between 150 and 300 words is ideal. Please do not submit more than 500 words.
- Be specific: Include times, dates and locations of events. Tell us if your event requires tickets or has an admission fee, how much those admission costs are. Please include contact information, such as a phone number, website or Facebook page, where readers can get more information about your event. When submitting sports information, include team scores, who led the team in scoring, etc. Please include both first and last names of participants mentioned in your article.
- Be timely. Information that is more than two weeks old will have a tougher time getting into the newspaper.
- When submitting photos, please be aware that we prefer action shots and, except in rare instances, we generally do not run “grip and grins” (photos with the subjects lined up in a row, looking directly at the camera.) We also generally do not run team photos. Please identify the subjects in each photo and give us a brief description of the action.
- We do not run stories about fund-raising events unless there is some type of activity associated with it. If your organization is selling something or taking donations, we’re not interested. But if they are holding an event, such as a 5k run, golf or softball tournament, festival, chili cook-off, etc., we’ll gladly promote the activity (but not the fund-raising aspect — that’s your job.)
- Give us plenty of notice ahead of time. At least three weeks prior to your event is ideal. That way, we have plenty of time to run it.
- Events publicized in the GUIDON must be open to service members and their families or be open to the public at large.
If you have any other questions, please contact Assistant Editor Matt Decker at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (573) 563.5334.