This week, General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital Nutrition Care Division intern Danellie Moore shares a recipe for a simple, vegetarian version of Fettucine Alfredo.
What are you making for dinner? To be featured, submit your photos and recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
— 12 ounces of whole-wheat fettuccine
— 1 tbsp of unsalted butter
— 1 clove of minced garlic
— 1 tsp of grated lemon zest
— 2 tsps of all-purpose flour
— 1 cup of 2-percent milk
— 2 tbsps of low-fat cream cheese
— 3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
— 3 tbsps of freshly chopped parsley
— salt and pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add fettuccine noodles and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot. Set aside.
2. While the water is boiling, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and lemon zest and cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add flour slowly and stir to combine well. Whisk in milk and 3/4 tsp of salt. Continue to whisk 3 to 4 minutes until slightly thickened.
4. Stir in cream cheese and parmesan and mix until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped parsley.
5. Add sauce and half the cup of cooking water to cooked pasta, tossing gently to combine. Add more reserved water as needed to desired consistency. Serve immediately, topped with pepper and additional parmesan if desired.
Read Moore’s commentary, Eating for a sustainable world here.