This week, Army spouse Vanessa Maldonado shares her modern twist on her mother’s Picadillo recipe and a bonus refried bean recipe.
“I like hers, but she makes it more the traditional way and I don’t like all the ingredients,” Maldonado said. “So, I made my own version of it.”
With many of the simple ingredients left to taste there is plenty of room to make it your own.
Maldonado said it is an easy recipe even the most novice cook in the house can make, and suggests pairing it with burrito sized flour tortillas and jasmine white rice.
1 lb ground beef or turkey
8 oz frozen country-style hash browns (diced potatoes) or 3-4 fresh potatoes diced (depends on size)
Salt (to taste)
Seasoned salt (to taste)
Garlic powder (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Half white onion chopped or minced onion (to taste)
1 can sweet corn
1 can peas
½ jar of medium or hot chunky salsa
1. Use potato masher to mash meat while cooking on medium or high heat.
2. Mash meat very finely and add spices and onions.
3. Mash meat together with spices.
4. Once meat is almost cooked add potatoes and corn/peas. Do not mash once potatoes and veggies are added.
5. Mix well together with cooking spoon.
6. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add half jar (8 oz) of medium or hot chunky pace picante salsa and mix.
Easy to make refried beans:
1 can pinto beans
1. Place one can pinto beans into a small saucepan.
2. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
3. Cover and let boil for 5 minutes.
4. Once boiled, turn off the heat and mash with potato masher until all beans are mashed and beans look creamy.
5. Let sit for 5 minutes uncovered.
What are you making for dinner? Want to be featured? Submit your photos and recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org.