This week, local Army veteran Cassie Kastrinakis shares a fried rice recipe that utilizes common ingredients that can be altered to fit almost every type of diet.
“This is a favorite family recipe that uses whatever you have in the fridge,” she said. “No meat, no problem, the egg provides enough protein. Want it vegan? Forget the eggs and meat entirely and add fried tofu or mushrooms.”
For Kastrinakis, the best part about the recipe is how versatile it is.
“Why do I love this meal? It’s quick and easy to make,” she said. “You can make it as a side or as the dinner depending on what you add to it.”
Kastrinakis provides her version and recommendations below.
What are you making for dinner? To be featured, submit your photos and recipes to email@example.com.
— 4 cups cooked refrigerated rice (Kastrinakis uses white medium grain from a local Asian market.)
— 4 eggs beaten
— 3 tbs oil (olive or peanut work well)
— 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into ¼ inch pieces
— 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/8-1/4 inch pieces or 1/2 cup frozen chopped carrot
— 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
— 4 green onions chopped finely
— 2 tbs soy sauce
— 2 tsp minced garlic (about 3-4 cloves)
— 1/2 tsp onion powder
— 1/2 tsp garlic powder
— Salt and pepper to taste
— Sesame seeds for garnish
— Optional: add 6 oz. precooked meat of choice. Chop into small pieces. Leftover steak or chicken is a great addition.
- Prepare ingredients. Wash and chop vegetables and cut meat into small 1/4 to 1/2 -inch pieces and set aside. Beat eggs in bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Make sure to keep all ingredients separate.
- Heat wok or large skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 tbs. oil.
- Once oil is hot, put potatoes in wok. Stir occasionally and cook until almost softened (about 5-7 minutes) then add garlic, carrots and peas to pan and sauté for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Push veggies aside in skillet then add beaten egg to pan and scramble. It’s okay if some veggies get mixed in with egg.
- Once egg is just about cooked, add the remaining oil and all of the rice. Mix well.
- Add in chopped green onions, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and meat (if you have it) to the pan. Mix well.
- Once fried rice ingredients are evenly distributed, add the soy sauce to the edges of the rice mixture. Mix well and heat through.
- Finally sprinkle with sesame seeds.